The Chemistry Major & Minor
The CHEM Major
In addition to the College’s general education requirements, Chemistry Majors are expected to complete the following courses:
The BS in Chemistry requires 80 credits in Program and Cognate Courses
The BA in Chemistry requires 64 credits in Program and Cognate Courses
- General and Organic Chemistry with laboratories (Chemistry I, Chemistry II, Chemistry III, Chemistry IV), Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Techniques, Laboratory Methods I and II and Physical Chemistry I and II .
- Calculus I, Calculus II
- Chemistry Seminar
- Physics I and II with laboratories
- Additional upper-level CHEM or other science courses (as cognates) to meet requirements.
The CHEMISTRY Program offers the following certification and concentrations: BS degree with American Chemical Society (ACS) Certification, Environmental Chemistry, Dual Degree in Chemistry and Engineering.
The CHEM Minor
Students majoring in other fields may also be certified with a Minor in Chemistry by completing the following requirements (26 credits):
Chemistry I, Chemistry II, Chemistry III and Chemistry IV with laboratories
One of the following upper-level courses:
- Survey of Instrumentation
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Laboratory Methods I
- Biochemical Laboratory Methods.
One additional 4-credit Chemistry course at the 3000 or 4000 level.