Transfer Credit

Office of Academic Affairs

Acceptance of credits in transfer does not guarantee that those credits will be applicable to the program chosen by the student. The Office of the Registrar, the Center for Academic Advising and the preceptor evaluate credits with regard to both acceptability and applicability. Only official transcripts, official score reports and official evaluations of foreign credits shall be used for this review. Transfer students must meet the same overall academic standards and requirements as students who enter Stockton as freshmen.

To be accepted in transfer, courses must have been taken at a regionally accredited institution, must have been completed within the last 20 years, must have been taken for a letter grade and the grade earned must be a C or higher (where the C grade has the numerical equivalent of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 point scale), must be a college-level course and must be the substantial equivalent of a course offered at Stockton. Grades from transfer courses are not used to calculate the Stockton grade-point average; only the course credits transfer. When a transfer course does not have the same credit value as its closest Stockton equivalent course, the course may still be used to fulfill a specific degree or program requirement. All aggregate credit requirements must be met.

Stockton programs may place further restrictions on the acceptance of transfer credits in order to maintain the integrity of Stockton’s degree programs. For this reason, courses such as professional education, practica, internships, and fieldwork courses taken at other institutions may not transfer. Some programs may specify that certain courses be completed more recently than 20 years ago.

The Provost or his/her designee may authorize non-regionally accredited formal course work for transfer upon review of relevant transcripts and other supportive materials, and only with the positive written recommendation of the student’s program coordinator and the school dean.  Such credits, if granted, are only to be used for program requirements.

Transfer from Four-Year Colleges
A maximum of 96 credits may be accepted in transfer from regionally accredited four-year colleges and universities.

Transfer of Graduates from a New Jersey County/Community College   
Stockton participates in the “Comprehensive State-Wide Transfer Agreement” and has endorsed the General Education Foundation for A.A. and A.S. Transfer Programs in New Jersey’s Community Colleges. Thus, a graduate of an approved transfer program of a New Jersey county/community college or of the associate’s degree program of Thomas Edison State College is granted the full amount of the minimum total number of credits required for graduation in that degree program, up to a maximum of 64 credits. In this way, courses that ordinarily would not transfer (e.g., those with grades of C minus or D, or physical education courses) are allowed in transfer as part of the A.A. or A.S. degree. However, minimum grades for specific Stockton requirements must still be met.

Acceptance of credits in transfer does not guarantee that those credits will be applicable to the program chosen by the student. In cases where the degree is granted for fewer than 64 credits, only that number will be awarded in transfer.

To be eligible for the maximum 64 transfer credits a student must have earned an associate in arts or science degree in an approved transfer program offered at Stockton. If Stockton credits are used to earn the A.A. or A.S. degree, such credits are subtracted from the maximum allowable under the State-Wide Agreement.

Stockton generally regards the associate in applied science (A.A.S.) degree as a terminal technical or professional degree and does not transfer it in its entirety, unless Stockton offers the same program at the baccalaureate level. Instead, the credits are reviewed on a course-by-course basis.

Transfer from Other Two-Year Colleges   
A maximum of 64 credits may be transferred from regionally accredited two-year colleges.

Transfer to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing   

A maximum of 66 credits is allowed in transfer from a regionally accredited two-year college when the student has earned an associate’s degree and has been accepted for matriculation in Stockton’s two-year Bachelor of Science in Nursing completion program.

Credit for Nontraditional Learning 
The Provost or his/her designee may authorize non-regionally accredited formal course work for transfer upon review of relevant transcripts and other supportive materials, and only with the positive written recommendation of the student’s program coordinator and the College dean. Such credits, if granted, are only to be used for program requirements. No credit is granted for life experience.

Transfer of International Credits
Credits from colleges and universities outside the United States must be equated to those at regionally accredited U.S. colleges and universities. It shall be the responsibility of the student making application to Stockton to furnish the College with an original certified copy of an evaluation of his/her international credits performed by World Educational Services, Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) or an equivalentThe acceptability of credits is governed by the same principles stated above.

Transfer Credit after Matriculation
Once a student has matriculated at Stockton, credits from other institutions will only be awarded if special permission is granted prior to registration. Such permission must be approved by the student’s assigned preceptor, the Center for Academic Advising and, in the case of summer course work, the Dean of General Studies. Such permission will not be granted for any student who has lower than a 2.00 cumulative average at Stockton, for any student who proposes to take a course for which he/she has previously received a grade of lower than C at Stockton, for any student who has 96 earned credits, nor for any student who has 64 earned credits and proposes to take courses at a two-year institution. Moreover, approvals to take courses elsewhere in the summer must be obtained prior to the opening of Stockton’s summer sessions. The policies governing acceptability of credits are the same as stated above.

Other Course Work   
Approved Stockton Education Abroad programs, the Washington Internship Seminar, and Dual-Degree Engineering and Health Profession programs shall be listed on the Stockton transcript as transfer credits.

Through participation in the Advanced Placement program of the College Entrance Examination Board, a student may transfer up to 32 credits from high school experience. Variable credits will be granted at the freshman/sophomore level for each Advanced Placement examination for which a score of 3 or higher is achieved, except in Biology where a score of 4 or higher is required. Application of these credits to a specific College or program requirement is determined by the appropriate General Studies or program faculty.


College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
As of July 1, 2001, CLEP Examinations became available only in a computerized format, and the tests were revised. CLEP Exams taken after this date and in the new format are reviewed as follows:

Stockton awards credit for CLEP Exams if the student achieves a minimum score of 50. The amount of credits will be granted according to the same credit value as the equivalent course at Stockton. Some CLEP Exams are designed to cover more than one semester of work.

A list of all CLEP Exams along with sample test questions is available via the College Board Web site.

A list of CLEP Exams and their Stockton course equivalencies is available in the Preceptor’s Resource Guide and in the Center for Academic Advising.  Additional credits may be approved by the program faculty of the pertinent degree program if students have higher scores than 50 and if the work completed covers more than one semester.

No more than 32 credits will be accepted in Advanced Placement (AP) credit, CLEP credit or combination thereof. Since not all subject examinations are acceptable for credit at Stockton, the student is urged to contact the Center for Academic Advising for assistance on all questions related to CLEP credits.

Thomas Edison College Examination Program (TECEP)   
Stockton accepts as transfer credits those that are earned through the Thomas Edison College Examination Program (TECEP). For each TECEP examination, a study guide is prepared that outlines in detail the content of the examination and gives suggestions for effective preparation. Study guides are available from:  Thomas Edison State College, Registrar, 101 West State Street, Trenton, NJ 08608-1176, www.tesc.edu

Information on the specific TECEP examinations accepted at Stockton is available at the Center for Academic Advising.

Appeal Process   
A student who wishes to appeal a decision regarding the acceptance of transfer credits must file a written appeal with the Academic Appeals Board at academic.appeals@stockton.edu.  Such an appeal must be submitted by the student within 30 days of receiving the decision in question.  The Academic Appeals Board will provide a decision to the student within 60 days of receipt of the appeal, and this decision is final.  For students who appeal under the conditions of the State-Wide Agreement, the relevant community college will be informed of the nature of the appeal and the decision.