International: Social Security

Office of Global Engagement
Home > Employment > Social Security Number

International Students interested in on-campus employment, CPT or OPT must obtain a Social Security Number.

Note: Social Security Card is not required to apply for a New Jersey Driver’s License.

Please follow the steps below to obtain a Social Security Card:

1. Gather Required Documentation

  • Copy of the official offer letter on company letterhead signed by the prospective employer listing the student’s name, beginning and ending date of employment, location where employment will take place, job description, number of hours student will work per week, employer’s and supervisor’s name and phone number
  • A letter from the Office of Global Engagement
  • Application for a Social Security Card
  • Copy of student’s Form I-20 / DS-2019
  • Copy of student’s Form I-94
    The printout from the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website is an official Form I-94.

2. Bring the above listed documents to the U.S. Social Security Administration office located at:

1350 Doughty Rd
Egg Harbor Twp.,
New Jersey, 08234

Phone: 1-800-772-1213 | 1-800-325-0778

 Return to International Students Homepage