17 Months OPT STEM Extension is available to government-designated STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) degree holders for a total of 29 months of OPT.
STEM Designated Degree Programs
- Students must have a STEM Designated Degree Program Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctorate degree.
- Students must be currently enrolled in an approved 12-months OPT period, working for the US employer in a job directly related to their major area of study.
- Students must have a job offer from an employer registered with E-Verify. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure their employer is registered with E-Verify employment verification system.
- Student must not have previously received a 17-month OPT STEM Extension.
- Student’s International Student advisor must recommend the 17-month OPT STEM Extension after the review of the application has been completed.
- Student must file Form I-765, including a check or money order for $380 payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
When to Apply
Students may apply up to 120 days prior to their current OPT expiration date.
Please note: the USCIS must receive the OPT STEM Extension application within 30 days of the issuance of the new I-20.
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documentation to the Office of Global Engagement:
- OPT Extension Request Form
- Copies of all previous and current I-20 forms (page 1 and 3)
- Photocopy of passport
- Photocopy of most recent Form I-94
- Photocopy of current OPT/EAD card
Please submit the following to the USCIS Service Center:
- Completed Form I-765 and the application fee payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Mail Form I-765 and the application fee to:
U.S. Postal Service deliveries:
P.O. Box 660867
Dallas, TX 75266
Express mail and courier deliveries:
2501 S. State Highway 121 Business
Lewisville, TX 75067
Students must report to their OGE advisor within 10 days of any changes in:
- Legal name
- Residential/mailing address
- E-mail address
- Employer name
- Employer address
Note: The student must report to his/her advisor every 6 months to confirm all information listed above, even if there has been no change.