J-1 Scholars & Researchers (in process)

Office of Global Engagement

As stated by the U.S. Department of State: “The Exchange Visitor Program promotes mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by educational and cultural exchanges”.

Stockton University is a public university certified by the U.S. Department of State to sponsor exchange students, and facilitate their entry into the U.S. under the J-1 visa requirements, enabling them to complete their program requirements successfully and ensure their return to their home country to “utilize the experience and skills they have acquired while in the U.S”.
Exchange Students interested in pursuing undergraduate degrees courses at Stockton University must be accepted to the university before they can be considered for a J-1 visa.

Stockton University is eligible to receive international guests under the J visa program for the following categories:

Short Term Scholar
U.S. Department of State defines a short term scholars as “professors, research scholars and other individuals with similar education or accomplishments who travel to the United States on a short-term visit to lecture, observe, consult, train or demonstrate special skills at research institutions, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited academic institutions or similar types of institutions.”

Professor/Research Scholar
The exchange of professors and research scholars promotes the exchange of ideas, research, mutual enrichment and linkages between research and academic institutions in the United States and foreign countries.

Professor: The professor category is for a foreign national who enters the United States for the primary purpose of teaching, lecturing, observing or consulting at accredited post-secondary academic institutions, museums, libraries or similar types of institutions. A professor may also conduct research, unless disallowed by the sponsoring organization.

Research Scholar: This category is for a foreign national who enters the United States for the primary purpose of conducting research, observing or consulting in connection with research projects at research institutions, corporate research facilities, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited academic institutions, or similar types of institutions. A research scholar may also teach or lecture, unless disallowed by the sponsor.

The research scholar or professor’s appointment to a position shall be temporary, even if the position itself is permanent.

Incidental lectures or short-term consultations are permitted with the approval of the responsible officer so long as they are directly related to the objectives of the participant’s program, and do not delay the exchange program’s completion date.

Student Intern

Exchange Student


Procedure to invite foreign scholars   Two-year home country requirement
Visa acquisition   Travel
Health insurance requirement   Employment
Prepare for your journey   J-2 Dependents

Return to International Students Homepage