Frequently Asked Questions

School of Education

Frequently Asked Questions 

Alternate Route Certification  Criminal Background/Substitute Certificate  GPA
Health Test Information Session Introductory/Intermediate Semesters GPA Calculator
'No Child Left Behind Act' Orientation Teach Grant  Praxis Information
Professional Requirements Student Teaching Substitute Teaching TEDU Program Changes


TEDU Program Changes effective beginning Fall 2017- Attention Stockton students on paths towards teacher certification with the Stoc kton TEDU Program! New Jersey regulations for teacher preparation programs are changing. Over the next several semesters we will slowly implement revisions beginning in Fall 2017. (Consult documents for basic information)  Make an appointment with your assigned preceptor or stop in School of Education for additional details.

How do I get into the Teacher Education Program?
The process begins by attending an Information Session at Open House or "A Day in the Life: events (see Information Session) or by scheduling an appointment in the School of Education Office. Every Stockton student is unique: we will evaluate your transcript and recommend the best path to certification for you. (Eligibility for the program)

What is the minimum GPA I need to enter and complete the program?
The Teacher Education program currently requires a 3.0 GPA for entry and completion of the program. 

There are four steps to request a GPA waiver into the Introductory semester of the Education program.
1. Eligibility: If you are between a 2.75 and 2.99 GPA AND have the passing Praxis II scores for your content area, you may submit a GPA waiver request to gain entry into the Introductory semester starting September 1, 2016.
2. Complete the GPA calculator spreadsheet.  Save this form, you will need it in step 4.
3. Complete and submit this Google Doc form
4. Send an email message to Dr. & with subject line: 'GPA Waiver Request, First Name and Last Name'.  Attach a copy of the completed GPA calculator spreadsheet detailing the number of credits you need to earn an 'A' to raise your GPA to a 3.0.
*If you have any questions about the process, please contact the School of Education in J-201 at 609-652-4688 or

How long does this program take?
Typically it takes a minimum of four semesters beyond the sophomore year to complete all program requirements for the Teacher Education Program. The time can be shortened through summer session course work. 

Is Stockton’s initial certification program a graduate/masters level program?
No. Stockton’s Teacher Education Program is an undergraduate or post-baccalaureate certification program. All required courses are undergraduate credit courses—students are not charged for graduate level classes. Some students opt to earn a second Bachelor's degree in Teacher Education by attaining 32 credits beyond the first degree, but the second degree is not required for certification.  Many Stockton programs are designed with Education concentrations built-in to their four-year plans. See Curriculum for more information.

Can I major in elementary or secondary education at Stockton?
No. The Stockton Teacher Education Program is a certification program that prepares candidates to teach a wide range of subjects in grades K-12. Students interested in education must first major in any liberal arts & sciences degree program. The Stockton Teacher Education Program is a state accredited program that follows the guidelines set forth by NJAC 6A:9-10.4.  Students complete certification requirements either in conjunction with or following the completion of a first bachelor’s degree in any of the liberal arts & sciences.

What areas of certification are offered at Stockton?
Stockton offers programs leading to elementary teacher certification [K-6] with middle school specializations [6-8] and secondary teacher certifications for subjects taught in grades K-12. Each middle school specialization requires a minimum of fifteen credits in the subject area that covers multiple content standards. Choices for middle school specializations include: mathematics, science, language arts, and social studies. Choices for secondary certifications include: art, biological science, chemistry, earth science, physical science, physics, mathematics, English, social studies, and world languages. See Curriculum for more information.

How can I decide on a first major?
A good choice is always an academic subject typically taught in a K-12 setting; areas would include history, science, math, language arts literacy, world language, etc.  Prospective elementary teachers may also select Psychology, Sociology or Liberal Studies. See Curriculum for more information.

Is it possible to complete the Program in 4 years?
Yes.  An incoming freshman Stockton student who follows solid precepting advice from the Education faculty and staff along with the first major preceptor can complete certification in conjunction with most liberal arts & sciences degree programs. Keep in mind that some majors are particularly intensive, and may require that students take the maximum number of credits per term (20) in order to complete these programs within four years (or eight semesters). If remedial or repeat course work is required, degree completion may take longer. 

Will I have an advisor in the School of Education?
You always have access to an advisor in the School of Education. After a student expresses interest in the Program a staff advisor is assigned to assist that student.  History, Liberal Studies, Literature, Math and Psychology candidates with an Education concentration and anyone who has enrolled in the Gateway to the New Jersey Teaching Profession (EDUC 3000) will be assigned to an Education faculty preceptor.  Preceptors are full-time professors in the School of Education. It is crucial for any student working on any first degree other than Liberal Studies to also have a preceptor in that content or professional area.

• Please know that the School of Education Office (J-201) is always open for questions relating to teacher training and licensure. (609) 652-4688 


What is the Information Session?
The first step for all students seeking teacher certification at Stockton is to attend an Information Session at Open House and A Day in the Life Events. Students receive information, guidance, and certification planning worksheets. A file will be started in the School of Education for any student who submits transcripts at a session. These sessions are open to all Stockton students and the general public. Register online, stop in at J-201, or call 609-652-4688.

Must I attend a Session?
If a session does not meet your scheduling needs, you may schedule an appointment in the School of Education.  Information Workshop Prezi for Your Review

May I attend an Information Session before I enroll at Stockton?
Yes, we encourage all students who might be interested in our Program to attend a session or to come into the office as early in their college career as possible. High school seniors are also welcome to attend.

• May I use all transfer courses for certification?
All transfer courses officially accepted by Stockton will be considered by the School of Education. Any course used to satisfy a requirement in the Teacher Education sequence must be approved by an Education advisor and/or our Program Coordinator, Dr. Norma Boakes.

Do I have to take EDUC 3000 Gateway to NJ Teaching Profession?
Yes, EDUC 3000 is a required prerequisite course to enter into Stockton’s Teacher Education Program. 

Do I have to be matriculated to take EDUC 3000 Gateway to NJ Teaching Profession?
Yes. A student may take EDUC 3000 under non-matriculated status if there is room in the class.  However, a student MUST be matriculated to the College and accepted to the Teacher Education Program to continue in the certification sequence of courses. See Curriculum for more information. 

Criminal Background Check/Substitute Teaching Certificate
To be placed for fieldwork in the Education sequence (Introductory, Intermediate, Student Teaching), you MUST complete a Criminal Background Check or have your Substitute Teaching Certificate several months in advance of the semester. After you have been fingerprinted, you must follow up with the company to make sure that you receive your criminal background clearance letter from the state of NJ.  This can take 3 - 6 weeks to complete and is needed to obtain the needed permits for the course.
How to complete the background check Only (you can go through Stockton as of March 2015)  (about $75) 
     Check if your background check is complete
How to complete a substitute certificate     
Archiving your fingerprints 


What are the Professional Requirements (PR)?
There are several open-enrollment courses required for teacher certification. PR courses are open to all students and do not require Program permission. The PR courses can be taken at any time prior to the certification semester.

Can I take the Professional Requirement courses before I take EDUC 3000 Gateway to the NJ Teaching Profession?

Is there a minimum grade requirement for the Professional Requirement courses?
The minimum grade requirement for most PR courses is C, however you must earn a B- or better in Educational Psychology.

Why do I need Child or Adolescent Psychology?
New Jersey requires that anyone who teaches in grades 6-8 must have Adolescent Psychology. Therefore, we recommend that students take either Lifespan or Developmental Psychology which includes both child and adolescent psychology.

I’m a Computer Science major. Do I still have to take Technology for Educators?

If I completed one or more of the Professional Requirements at a NJ community College, will they count towards Stockton’s Education Program?
Stockton has articulation agreements with NJ community colleges. Courses under the above headings will be accepted at Stockton providing that the grade is a C or better except for Educational Psychology which must have a grade of B- or better.  After careful transfer review, courses from other colleges besides the ones listed above may also be accepted as equivalent.  


What is the health test?
It is a 35 question true or false test about drugs, tobacco, and alcohol which has been developed by the NJ Department of Education. It can be completed in about 15 minutes in the J-201 office or at the county superintendent's office.

Do I have to take the health test?
According to New Jersey Education Code (6A:9-5.9) candidates for instructional certificates shall pass an examination in physiology, hygiene, and substance abuse issues. Stockton requires all teacher candidates to meet this state requirement by passing a health issues exam administered by our office or the county superintendent’s office. Completed coursework in the above topics [or military service] may exempt a student from the health test, but we recommend that you take the short test even if you have the coursework.

Where can I take the health test?
Stop in our J201 office during office hours to take the test on the computer. The other option is for the student to take the test at his/her county superintendent’s office.

What happens if I fail the health test?
Students may retake the test until a passing score is attained.  


What is the orientation?
During the EDUC 3000 Gateway to the NJ Teaching Profession, students participate in a formal orientation process.  Students will provide the School of Education with an application, and copies of all transcripts. Applicants are required to attend Orientation where they will verify whether they are eligible for the Certification courses.  Upon completion of the Orientation process an applicant may be eligible, conditionally eligible, or denied eligibility to the Certification Program. All students participating in the Orientation process receive formal notification of eligibility status following the orientation.

How do I sign up for the orientation?
The Orientation process occurs in EDUC 3000. All paperwork will be distributed and requirements discussed.

How do I officially begin the Certification courses within the Teacher Education Program?
A student will be in the process of completing 64-96 credits, pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Test Scores of: 156-Reading, 162-Writing, and 150-Mathematics on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Test as of September 1, 2013 (formerly the Praxis I) or *SAT tests taken between 4/1/95-2/28/16 with scores of: Verbal 560+ & Math 540+; SAT tests taken on or after 3/1/16 with scores of: Evidence Based Reading & Writing 610+ or 30 Reading Section & Math 570+ or ACT scores of English & Math 23+.  *A combined score of the SAT test is no longer accepted per NJ state requirements adopted on September 1, 2015. See Praxis Information for more details.

Can I still go through the Orientation if I haven’t taken the Praxis I or Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Test?
Yes, provided that you can show verification that you have registered for the test.

Liberal Studies General Degree
If you need to switch to the Liberal Studies degree without the education component, there are several courses that need to be taken as well as a proposal to be written with 2 faculty advisors.  Courses that are needed:

     -12 credits at the 3000+ level that are relevant to the theme or focus of your plan/proposal
     -One Capstone Course
     -GEN 2250 Introduction to General Studies
     -GEN 2248 Perspectives on Civic Engagement
     -GEN 2240 Introduction to Research

For more detailed information, please read the LIBA Proposal then contact


Once I am eligible for the Certification courses through the Orientation, can I begin the first set of Introductory certification courses in the summer?
Yes, students must attend preceptorial advising to receive electronic permits for the courses, attend a special summer informational meeting scheduled before precepting, and have completed the Criminal History Background Check. After you have been fingerprinted, you must follow up with the company to make sure that you receive your criminal background clearance letter from the state of NJ.  **If you are interested in Summer Introductory semester, please be aware that the semester starts a week earlier than on the posted Stockton Academic Calendar.** 

• Can I take both the Introductory and the Intermediate (or the Intermediate and the Student Teaching) semesters together?
No, the three semesters of courses are designed in sequence: Introductory are pre-requisite to the Intermediate, and Intermediate are pre-requisite to Student Teaching. The semesters must be taken consecutively.

What is involved in the Introductory fieldwork?
This semester is all about pedagogical techniques—models of instruction, lesson design, unit design, lesson presentations, etc. The semester includes 80 hours of fieldwork with associated assignments.

Can I split the co-listed courses in the Introductory, Intermediate or Student Teaching semester and not take them all at one time?
No, the courses are offered as co-requisites.

What is involved in the Intermediate fieldwork? 
Methods courses and fieldwork are centered on actual lessons presented by students in school placement classrooms.

• Can I take the Introductory semester in the summer?
Yes, students who meet eligiblility criteria above may complete Introductory in Atlantic City from mid-May through July. You must also have passed Praxis II in your content area by February 1st.  To be placed on a list for more information, please complete this form.


What is Student Teaching all about?
Student Teaching is a prospective teacher’s internship, i.e. a full-term experience observing, planning, and teaching in an elementary, middle, or high school setting. A student teaching fee is required. Students must earn an A or B grade to be recommended for certification.

What is a Student Teaching Seminar?
The Student Teaching Seminar is the co-requisite to Student Teaching—class meetings are bi-weekly. Reflecting and critiquing teaching activities will be emphasized. Topics include classroom management, verifying rationale for instruction and evaluating teaching. Students will develop a professional portfolio and prepare to be a beginning teacher.

Can I take any other courses while I am student teaching?
We recommend that all courses be completed prior to student teaching.

What happens if I don’t get along with my cooperating teacher?
A student teaching supervisor is assigned to each student teacher. Student teaching problems are first discussed with the student teaching supervisor.

When do I need to apply for Student Teaching?    
If you plan to student teach in the Fall:  The last available Praxis II testing session to meet the deadlines is March.  Fall Student Teaching applications are accepted in the School of Education beginning on March 17th ending on April 1st.

Fieldwork Dress Code  

If you plan to student teach in the Spring:  The last available Praxis II testing session to meet the deadlines is September.  Spring Student Teaching applications are accepted in the School of Education beginning October 1st ending on November 1st.

 tDPT Program Brochure Praxis II Deadlines for Student Teaching



What is a CEAS?
Upon completion of an approved traditional college teacher education program, the student is recommended for a Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing. The CEAS becomes a Standard Certificate after a novice teacher successfully completes his/her first year of teaching.

What is a CE?
A Certificate of Eligibility is issued when a student decides to go through New Jersey’s Alternate Route Program. Contact the School of Education Office for Information regarding the Alternate Route Program.

How do I get licensed to teach English as a Second Language [ESL]?
See Graduate Program Information Here


What is the Alternate Route Program?
The Alternate Route Provisional Teacher Certification Program is sponsored by the New Jersey Department of Education to enable individuals who have not completed a traditional teacher education program to enter into the teaching profession. To be eligible for the ARP, individuals must obtain a Certificate of Eligibility [CE] from the NJDOE. Contact Michael Hinman at in the School of Education Office for information regarding the Alternate Route Program.

What are the requirements for applying to the Alternate Route? 

Do I have to take Praxis Core to get into the Alternate Route?
No, an individual must pass the Praxis II in the area in which he/she plans to teach (elementary or secondary).

NJ Teacher Candidate Basic Skills Requirement


How do I apply become a substitute teacher?
Visit any K-12 school district to request an application packet with instructions on how to apply, or simply contact your local Office of the County Superintendent.


The No Child Left behind Act (NCLB) of 2001 was signed into law on January 8, 2002 by President Bush. The Act represents the President's education reform plan and contains the most sweeping changes to the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) since it was enacted in 1965. NCLB changes the federal government's role in K-12 education by focusing on school success as measured by student achievement. The Act also contains the President's four basic education reform principles:

o stronger accountability for results
o increased flexibility and local control
o expanded options for parents
o and an emphasis on teaching methods that have been proven to work

  • What financial aid resources are available for individuals in educator preparation programs in New Jersey?
    The TEACH Grant is a federal program that provides up to $4,000 each year for individuals that agree to teach in a high need elementary or secondary school, or educational services agency for 4 years after graduating.  The summary of the federal loan forgiveness and cancellation programs provides an overview of all relevant information.  If you need further assistance, email
  • Childhood Studies Minor - Meet with Dr. Connie Tang the minor coordinator - G-261

Tuition Rates