Office of Public Relations
Pomona, NJ 08240
Celebrating the Constitution: Stockton Announces Full Slate of Events Centered Around Constitution Day, Saturday Sept. 17
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, September 13, 2005
Contact: Tim Kelly
Stockton Public Relations
Galloway Township, NJ – The Richard Stockton College of New Jersey will help celebrate the United States Constitution with a full slate of activities and events commemorating Constitution Day on Sept. 17.
Because Constitution Day falls on a weekend this year, a number of the events have been planned in advance and following the actual holiday.
The idea is to generate interest in the Constitution, stress its importance in how Americans go about their lives and how relevant it is today,” said Dr. Bonnie Buzza, Associate Provost.
The events begin Thursday, September 15 with a panel discussion on the rights of privacy as they relate to the Constitution, and wrap up Saturday Oct. 1 with a student trip to the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia.
Buzza said the College will help to raise awareness about the Constitution by handing out mini Constitution documents. There will also be a major voter registration drive at the College ongoing throughout the campus, she added.
The events for Constitution Day are as follows:
· Thursday, September 15, 2:30 p.m. Panel Discussion: Privacy and the Constitution: From Abortion rights to Sexual Orientation. Featuring Robert King, J.D. and Audrey Wolfson Latourette, J.D. Room C-134
· Saturday, September 17, Constitution Day, 10 a.m. “Rights vs. Rights: An American Struggle” Talk by Alan Arcuri, Professor of Political Science. Room C-134
· Monday, September 19, 12:45 p.m. Video Presentation and Discussion, “Justice Talking” Conversation with Supreme Court Justices. The video features Sandra Day O’Connor and Stephen Breyer on the Constitution, followed by a discussion led by Stockton’s Linda Wharton, J.D., a constitutional scholar. Townsend Residential Life Center.
· Monday, September 19, 4 p.m. “Freedom of the Press after September 11” Featuring attorney and former newspaper editor Frank Corrado, Esq. Room C-134
· Saturday October 1, Bus trip to the National Constitution Center for students, sponsored by the Office of Housing and Residential Life. Call (609) 652-4332 for further information.
Constitution Day events are sponsored by the Office of the Provost and the Division of Student Affairs.